I've Been Banging On A Drum All Day Long Enough

9:58 PM, Saturday, November 1, 2008 / Posted by Christy /

I have not had time to eat, sleep, or think for the past week because of the Starving Artists Halloween Ball that I've been planning since June and took place on Thursday. But I'll get back to the Ball. Right now I want to tell you my very exciting and relieving news:

I GOT A JOB!!!!!!!!!

Let me back up a moment and give you a little background so you can fully appreciate this news. I worked at Ticket Central box office for all of 2007. It was good job. Really easy. Decent pay. Excellent perks (I could see hundreds of shows for free!) I made my own schedule. The only down side was that I sometimes couldn't get enough hours in the week. But the flexibility was worth it for me. Anyway, in December '07, if you'll remember, I left New York on a children's theatre tour, and thus, had to leave Ticket Central in hopes that I could return when the tour concluded in June. Well, the tour ended and, try as I might, I was not able to return to Ticket Central. I delayed looking for a job for the summer because I took 2 theatre jobs: one as stage manager for a summer show and one as company manager for Studio 42 (the Halloween Ball throwers). Neither of these jobs paid anything, but I was holding out hope that I would get to return to Ticket Central at some point, and in the meantime I was busy. Well, fall rolled around, and I still had no job and the door to Ticket Central was pretty much closed.

I started looking for jobs more seriously, but it was harder than I thought. Dr. Phil always says that if you don't have a job, looking for a job is your job. You should spend every day trying your best to get one. And I took that to heart. But every day I didn't get an email or a call back...every interview I went on and heard nothing...I felt more and more discouraged. At this point I've been unemployed for 5 months, and I've been starting to wonder if I would ever find a job! I thought I might have to give up my New York dream and move back to Ohio if nothing came up soon. BUT here's the good news. My perseverence has paid off. I finally have a job that I think will be perfect.

I'm going to be working at Westside Theatre in the box office. Westside is a commercial Off-Broadway Theatre that currently has two shows running. The position is full time with benefits, which is what I wanted, but I was starting to think I would have to settle for less. I'm very excited because this position means I will have freedom to be involved with Studio 42 without the worry for money and health insurance. I start on November 17! Can't wait to get that paycheck!

Labels:

1 comments:

Anonymous on November 5, 2008 at 3:36 PM

CONGRATS Christy! now get up that election blog you know you want to post:)

Post a Comment