It's the day before Thanksgiving, which means the holiday season is fully upon us. Come Friday, we can no longer deny the signs of Christmas popping up all around us. I'm very excited to enter this holiday season, but it is definitely going to be different from any other year.
First of all, I'm going to be spending Thanksgiving with friends this year, not family. Ever since I moved to New York, I've spent Thanksgiving in New Jersey with my aunt and cousins there. But this year, most of my cousins have made alternative plans (in-laws, etc), so I had to make other plans too! I'm going to be traveling over the OTHER river to my friends Anu and Abel's home in Astoria, Queens. I'm bringing along my favorite sweet potato recipe. Eduardo is going to make it too, which is great because until yesterday we thought he had to work. This will also be my first ever paid holiday. I'm getting paid to eat Turkey! Rock on.
The major change in my holiday plans, though, is that I will NOT be leaving New York for Christmas. In case you missed the giant font on my blog a few weeks ago, I got a job I just started last week at the Westside Theatre (hence, the paid holiday). Shortly after I was hired, I received my schedule though the end of January. Thus, I found out I have to work Christmas Eve and the day after Christmas. I had a moment of disappointment about this, but I was prepared for this kind of news. I was very desperate for a job by the time I interviewed for this position, and I told them I didn't have any upcoming conflicts or plans for the holidays. And I'm so happy to actually have a job, I won't complain about having to work so close to Christmas. Everyone at my job has to work holidays sometimes, so it's not that I'm being subjected to anything overly cruel as the new employee.
Anyway, since I found this out so early on, I was able to convince my family to come visit ME this year. I'm really looking forward to it. I will miss seeing my home decorated for Christmas, my friends, and my extended family in Illinois. However, I mentioned to my mom last year that I hoped she could come to New York around the holidays sometime. I think it is the most amazing place in the world at this time of year. I gushed about it last year, and I'll do it again. New York is at its most fabulous for Christmas!
This is the time of year I usually provide a link to my wish list. Peruse at will :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment