Long Night's Journey Into Day

2:18 AM, Thursday, March 26, 2009 / Posted by Christy /

You may or may not be aware that I am a night owl. This is pretty much the norm in the theatre community, as we tend to work at night and have nothing much to do during the day. I have always liked staying up late, but now I stay up even later than before because of Eduardo's schedule. He works at a bar and gets off work anywhere between 1am and 4am. When I don't have anything to do before noon, which is often, we like to hang out after he gets off work...playing pool, watching movies, playing video games, etc. Because of this late schedule, I now seldom find myself getting to sleep before 4am.

But don't think these overnight hours are not put to good use. Last night I rearranged my room which included getting rid of a piece of furniture and then doing extensive cleaning where said piece of furniture used to be. Tonight I defrosted my freezer and now my shower is full of giant chunks of ice. And now I'm blogging! An excellent use of time!

I also know what is on TV overnight. I remember when I used to go to sleepovers as a kid and stay up until the wee hours watching TV in my friends' basements. We did this mostly just because we could, because there was hardly ever anything on that anyone was actually interested in watching. This is no longer the case as I now find the selection of television from midnight to 5am much more enjoyable than what can be found from noon to 5pm. Mostly because there are no soaps or judge shows overnight (Those judge shows are multiplying at an alarming rate! I guess as long as there are women who loan their jobless boyfriends money to pay their cell phone bills...) I usually start out with watching the late night talk shows. I'm a fan of Letterman and Conan. But now they are on opposite each other rather than back to back, which, I'm not going to lie, has really shaken up my whole life. But I now sometimes watch Jimmy Fallon or Jimmy Kimmel (the fact that there are two Jimmys on late night television is also a bit on an inconvenience for me). After that I usually watch Oprah, which gets re-aired around 1am. After Oprah are syndicated episodes of MTV's Cribs. I enjoy this because I don't get cable, but when this show comes on I can PRETEND like I do. After Cribs is the re-airing of the local ABC 11 o'clock news. Then I usually switch it over to the CW where they show South Park until 4am. Again, I can pretend I have cable, since I don't actually get Comedy Central. If I'm still up at 4am, the VERY early news comes on ABC. I often find myself wondering who watches the news at 4am. Well, I do...but surely not that many other people. Then I start to feel sorry for the people who have to wake up and get ready for work at 4am. And I also usually feel sorry for the poor news anchors who must have no lives since they have to be on TV at 4am every day.

And then I go to sleep! Probably just as you're waking up!

Labels: , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment