As promised, I'm going to fill everyone in on my new job at Gazillion Bubble Show. I've been at the show for about a week and a half now and I'm enjoying it. It's hard work, but it's also fun. My position right now is backstage crew, which I like. I have a lot of cleaning to do after the show, but it's fun to run around in the dark on stage setting up for the various bubble tricks. I also have fun things to do like bringing out prizes to the on-stage volunteers and hitting around giant "snow balls" AKA inflatable white balls.
Here's a video of the show, to give you an idea:
I think this is one of the best ideas ever, by the way. I watch so many people toil away trying to produce a show that gets critical acclaim, gets audiences in the door, and is long running. But why write a script when you can just make bubbles? I mean, what child doesn't LOVE bubbles? And this little bubble show that was created by one man and his family (his wife Ana currently performs the New York show) is now a global company, toy line, and all around money making machine. Frequently members of the "Bubble Crew", as we're called, are flown off to places like California, Las Vegas, Hong Kong, Japan, and Korea to work on productions in those locations. The lobby of the theatre has been transformed into a bubble-toy shop that exclusively sells the Gazillion Bubble brand. And probably the most lucrative operation outside the show itself is the "Me in a Bubble" photo op in the lobby, where you can get your photo taken inside a giant bubble for a mere $20. And they always line up for it!
So, although this job is not quite as cushy as Westside Theatre was, it is fun. I like the job security...and the possibility that I might get to travel to fun places at some point in the future on the company dime.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment